Thursday

Life with Fertilizer

I have never grown a garden or flowers before, so I had no idea that you needed to fertilize. I mean, yes, I knew of fertilizer, but thought it was just one of those things that people spent money on as a luxury. So pretty much all of my flowers were dying that I had planted and our garden wasn't looking as prosperous as I thought it should be, so I asked Robert about him bringing some fertilizer home from work to see if it would help.

We had to buy a Miracle Grow one first because the fertilizer he has at work is a liquid, so we have been using that until it is gone, then we will use the free stuff. But boy, oh boy has it helped anything and everything to grow!! I really should have thought about this sooner, but at least it wasn't too late!

These first three are of the flowers that have suddenly sprung to life in front of our house. (Please forgive all the weeds, they have sprung up as well and I've had a hard time keeping up between the garden and the flower bed)
This is Kaylie's rosebush that has finally started to grow, hooray! I'm just so relieved I didn't kill it because it took a long time for it to recover from transplantation shock.

This is my raspberry bush, doing ok but not great, either. Hopefully it will still produce berries next year.

Our blackberry bush. The actual bush kinda died, so Robert asked a co-worker what the deal was and he said to put sulfur in the soil. The only thing is, it takes 6 weeks for the sulfur to break down. But, we got lucky and as you can see around the bottom, the bush is starting to regrow.

Onions - kinda sparse, but I planted a whole ton more, so hopefully we will have plenty!

This is the best carrot. These haven't done real well, but I replanted the row and took out the row that was supposed to be broccoli and just planted carrots instead because nothing came up but weeds. Broccoli, I found out later, is very difficult to grow, so I don't feel too bad.

Cucumbers
Corn - tons and tons of corn and Robert even had me replant more!! We have three rows of it! I think we should have just enough to last us - through the next few years! :)

Our first tomato beginning to grow. We have four plants and all are doing well, but this is the first one I have seen. Yay!!!
Our pumpkin plants - doing the best of anything we planted in the garden, I think.

The beginnings of strawberries!! I cannot wait for these babies to get ripe! We bought two strawberry plants and both are doing pretty well (thank goodness)

4 comments:

Tenika Dennis said...

Your garden looks awesome! I'm glad you were able to save your plants. I love that you are in a position to have a garden and you are taking advantage of it. Keep up the good work!

Team Skousen said...

You guys are doing a great job! It takes so much to make a beautiful garden, and yours looks so good! You will have lots of pumpkins for halloween!

Julie Barnes said...

WOW! I would love to have a garden. Someday... You will have to give me some pointers when I buy a house with property!! LOOKS GREAT!

Maples Family!! said...

Oh i am so jealous, mine are not doing so great, I will have to by some fertilizer/miracle grow...