Wednesday

Fourth Anniversary

Yesterday was our 4th anniversary. I cannot believe it has been that long already!! I remember when we used to think those who had been married for more than a year had been married for a LONG time! :) So it was a typical day with playing at the park with lots of fun friends and then I worked hard on making a nice cake and special dinner. But of course as all things important go, things fell through tremendously and I called Robert at 4:30 nearly in tears as I realized the ham I had bought for dinner was not already cooked like I had thought. But being my husband, he quickly came up with the solution that we would go out to dinner with Sam and then he and Sam would hang out during my two hour cake class and then we would go home. While I was in class, my boys went and picked out these gorgeous flowers for me because Robert knows how much I love flowers and how often he doesn't get them for me :)
The cake was kind of a disaster, too. I tried to use the frosting left over from our class last week, but it was old and gooey and I had already ripped off one border, so I decided to just leave it as was. The comforting thing about the stuff I make is even though it may look crazy/weird, at least it tastes fabulous, which was exactly the case with our cake. It is a two layer triple chocolate fudge with coconut pecan filling and chocolate buttercream on the outside.

And these are my little creations from my fondant/gumpaste class last night. It was really fun to start getting into completely, totally new stuff! There IS kleenex stuffed in my ribbon loops to help them dry open, so don't worry, those are coming out! Next to the bow on the spaghetti are the buds for a rose and a mum and the other frilly looking thing is the base for a carnation. We just did the buds and will finish them off next class.

7 comments:

Maples Family!! said...

WOW! that is an amazing bow! How fun to take Cake classes!! That cake sounds so yummy! you will have to share the recipe!

Steph said...

Happy Anniversary! Just wait until you get to 17 years! That's old! :)

Love the cake and the bow! And the flowers are just beautiful.

c a n d a c e said...

Ahh I loved this post. Way to go Robert on getting my sis flowers!!! Love you all. (Christine you are getting to be so freakin talented - quit it!!!)
xo xo Candace

Julie Barnes said...

Happy anniversary!! congrats on the 4 years! Seems like only yesterday when 2006 was happening, right? your bow looks wonderful. you are FAR more talented than me. I just want to learn how to make a cake... ha ha ha ;0

Lisa Lines said...

Yeah! Happy Anniversary! So I just streamed 5 episodes of cake boss. I think you are totally on your way!!! I love it.

Stacy Smith said...

Happy Anniversary! I think you scored with a night out and you can have ham for Sunday dinner. I think that is a win/win.

Team Skousen said...

Aww I remember your reception! It doesn't seem that long ago. Craig started planning our 5 year anniversary and I was SHOCKED that we had been married that long too! I guess time flies when you are having fun :)