Thursday

Almost Too Much Chocolate Cake


So today I decided to make yet another cake - can you believe it?! :) The main reasons being first, Robert was really sweet this morning and let me sleep in because I for some reason couldn't fall asleep until nearly midnight last night. And second, Robert was a little hurt that the last cake for my last class wasn't for him. Which is a little strange because he didn't really care for the cakes I did in the beginning. Oh well. So I had seen the recipe for this cake a while back on Make It & Love It and made a special trip to the store today to get all the ingredients needed to whip up this sucker. It looks like it will be pretty good, right? I hope he likes it!
On a side note, I have to tell you about an experience tonight because it touched me so much. Up until we had Kaylie, we had never really been sick or out of work or anything that would cause us to really need help. I mean, we had moved a few times and had some people help us, but that was about it. And then when we had Kaylie, I HAD to accept help because I just couldn't do it all. That was a learning experience, but sort of a necessary one, right? To get to my point, tonight as I'm making this fabulously fattening cake, my home teachers knock on the door. They had come home teaching a few weeks ago and had asked about our huge pile of wood. They suggested that they could ask in priesthood if anyone in the ward had a log splitter so we wouldn't have to rent one. The first week was a bust, but on Sunday they found us one to borrow. Well, tonight they came with the borrowed log splitter ready to split our entire pile of wood!! Both of them are in Scouts, so they had the 12 year olds come and help stack the wood they split and did quite alot in an hour! Not only that, but the home teachers are coming back tomorrow after work to try and finish up the splitting. I guess this touches me so much because I'm not a widow and it is obvious that Robert is capable of doing the job, but they found something they could do and went ahead and did it even though we didn't ask them to or say we needed help with it. It honestly was great enough that they had found someone willing to us borrow their log splitter. It, to me, is the example of trying to be like Christ. Christ wasn't asked to take our sins upon Him, but He could see the need and stepped up to fulfill it. I don't know, just some food for thought and a place for me to express how grateful I am for people who are willing to help out not necessarily because we NEED them to, but because it is the Christlike thing to do and is the spirit of home teaching.

3 comments:

Tenika Dennis said...

That is so great! It's so nice when people are willing to serve us, even (or perhaps especially) when we didn't realize we needed any help.

Julie Barnes said...

Wow, your cake is amazing! looks so yummy. AND you are right about being more christ-like. There are so many times I can see someone needs help and I think, "someone else will do it". Time to step up and help out. :)

c a n d a c e said...

I love this post, sis. It's true - Christ stepped up without anyone nagging Him or asking Him. It is important to look for opportunities to serve/help, instead of just waiting to be asked. I think most people Don't ask. I love you and am in love with your cakes!! :) (oh, and happy birthday!!)