Saturday

New Thing for Saturday

Our Saturdays are usually just like any other day. Daddy usually works, so Sam and I just hang out and do whatever. But today we got to do something different. Today was the annual Community Potato Pick. But first we had to drop off Daddy's phone to him at work and Sam decided to stay with Daddy and help sort potatoes while Mommy ran over and got just a few potatoes.
I think it is awesome that one of our local farmers donates an enire field of potatoes for people in the community to come and get for free. That, and they dig up the potatoes for you! How awesome is that?! They plant one field of both russet and red potatoes and dig one row at a time of each and people fill their containers until the row is gone and then they dig another one. It works pretty well and tons of people come to get their year's supply of potatoes. I get my year's supply of red potatoes since that is the only variety Robert's farm doesn't grow, but this is also potatoes for my sister's family and possibly her in-laws, too.

Sam had a GREAT time helping Daddy on the farm! Robert found a stick of wood for Sam to stand on so he could see over the side of the conveyor belt where the potatoes are sorted and the workers pick out rocks, allowing Sam to play in the potatoes having the greatest time ever. Here Sam is showing us his potato he picked off the belt that he got to take home! :)

5 comments:

c a n d a c e said...

Cute lil Sammy boy. I love it!! Way cool idea. I wish I got some red potatoes (wink wink)

Team Skousen said...

That is awesome!!

Stacy said...

How do you store a year's worth of potatoes without them going bad? Probably involves canning which you are so awesome at!!! :) Please educate this city girl! :)

Maples Family!! said...

That is so awesome that you get so many potatoes, but i have a quick question for you, I am getting about 50lbs of potatoes and I know we will eat them all, but i am just afraid they will go rotten, do you know a secret to getting them to stay longer? let me know please!

Christine said...

The trick to getting potatoes to stay good longer is to leave the dirt on them and then store them in a cellar or insulated garage. If you don't have those options (like me!), you can also can them, as Stacy suggested I might do. I tried it last year and though they aren't great for mashed potatoes, you can use them for just about anything else. They do have to be pressure cooked, though. E-mail me if you have more Q's and I'd be happy to answer!