Tuesday

Locked Doors

Well, we have another story to share. You know - the kind that are terrifying at the moment, but once the event is over you can sit back and laugh at yourself?
Yesterday I had to work in the afternoon and Sam was a little turkey and didn't take his nap before we had to go, so I thought he would be more than ready for bed at 8:45 pm. I was wrong. He stayed up messing around for quite a while, but I figured as long as he is in his room and not doing anything naughty, he will eventually go to sleep. I get done looking stuff up on the computer and I hear his heater going in his room, but no sounds from Sam. This isn't entirely unusual; Sam loves to play with his heater and will sometimes turn it up to 90 degrees. So I go to quietly open the door to turn off the heater and the door is locked from the inside. Ugh. So I go find a bobby pin to try and push the special little spot that will open the door. After 15 minutes of trying and pounding on the door yelling at Sam to wake up and let Mommy in, I still hadn't heard a sound and the heater was still going. At this point I am extremely worried to put it mildly. So I call Robert to see if he is on his way home yet (it's 10:30) and he tells me to go look for a screwdriver to start taking the doorknob apart and he will get home ASAP. I finally get the doorknob off (I was seriously considering just ripping the whole thing out and replacing it later) to discover that Sam was fine, just sleeping like the dead. Robert gets home about a minute after I get the knob off and he has a police officer with him! Turns out he was racing pretty fast to get home and when he told the officer the story, he followed Robert home to make sure that was really the case and let Robert off with a warning! And as if this crazy story isn't enough, just as I am about to sit down and write about this whole event, Sam locks every door in the house, which locked me in the office and out of the bathrooms right as I needed one! Thankfully, Sam was obedient when I started pounding on the door demanding he let me out! What a kid!

6 comments:

Maples Family!! said...

WOW, how crazy is that, it does get scary when you can't get to the quick,and you don't know what could have happened to them. Hyrum went through a locking of the doors stage too, it was aweful. I am sorry i hope it doesn't last to long foryou

c a n d a c e said...

Oh my goodness!!! I am going to call him Lockey McGee!! Hahaha, well he definitely sleeps like his Momma. ;) So glad everything was ok, sis.

Unknown said...

Your life is full of those "little boy" moments. I am getting a little worried for myself now that our little boy is coming.

Ben & Carli said...

Oh isn't it funny how they figure something out and then can't seem to get enough of it. William used to lock me out of the house every time I went to get the mail or the worst take out his dirty diapers. Good luck!

Ashley said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Oh Sam is so smart and Tricky! I love hearing stories like that!

Leslie said...

Ah,life with toddlers! At least you're not bored. :) Just wait till he gets into the 5 lb. bucket of honey and drips it all over himself and the carpet. Or dumps powdered detergent down the toilet and stops it up. Hmmm, sounds familiar . . . :)