Saturday

What's Been Happening

Sorry it has been a while, Blogger has been giving me grief and I haven't been able to post for almost a week. To begin with, yesterday I finally dove in to the canning world and did 28 pints of peaches and 12 quarts of pears. We'll have to see how we do with the pears, but it was "fun" to do, although alot of work and very tiring (especially with a 2 year old who refused to take a nap)
This is a picture of our pile of wood waiting to be split. It doesn't look like alot, but behind the big pile is a pile of log lengths around 6 to 8 feet long that need to be cut into shorter lengths, then split. Robert keeps saying he is waiting for his little brother, Jake to get here to split all that wood! :)
And this is a brief look at my little cornstalks and a few of my tomato plants. This wasn't a great year for the garden, unfortunately. I wasn't watering enough the first part, then rodents got to all my strawberries during the middle and then we were blessed with a frost about two weeks ago that killed almost everything. What a bummer. So all my lovely tomato plants are dead and the corn is stunted.
One plus side to the early frost was it started turning my pumpkins orange so by the time Halloween rolls around we will have 6 to 7 great sized pumpkins to carve and have adorning our doorstep! This picture was taken nearly a week ago, so now the pumpkin in front is completely orange and the rest are really close.
Picture of my onions. They are considerably larger than last year's onions, but not nearly large enough. I think I have decided that if you have the space, the square foot box is not ideal for root plants.

My carrots. Don't really know what happened here, but again I think the square foot box is not ideal for these root plants.

When I was out taking pictures of the garden, Sam demanded I take a picture of him, too. I found this sweatshirt that has Wall-E on it at a used clothing store, but it looked brand new, so I figured it was a good buy. Now he absolutely LOVES Wall-E and he refuses to wear any other sweatshirt or jacket unless this one is in the laundry! Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Julie Barnes said...

WOW! I want a garden real bad! AND Sammy is so big. He is so so so so so cute! Also, you are one of my best bloggers. I love that you are always posting something.

The Roaming Rolfe's said...

Those pears and peaches sure look great! I wish I had time and space to do some! And I love the pumkins! That will be so fun!