Sunday

Gardening Ventures Continue

So I am posting a few more things from the weekend - I hope you enjoy! First off is to tell you all about my newest and latest gardening ventures! A sweet lady in my ward no longer wants her thornless raspberries, so Friday my friend and I went to dig some starts. Not only did I get a bunch of raspberry starts, but this sweet lady kept offering us flowers that she no longer wanted.
I said "Heck yes!" to free flowers and promptly changed our plans of shopping to planting for the day. Sorry I don't know names, but I was given these cute little purple and yellow flowers that I used to fill the space along the back of my flower garden. These are supposed to spread out very nicely and come back every year, so here's to hoping!
Then this is a daisy bush the lady no longer wanted. I had daisy bushes last year, but they didn't come back, so it is nice to have one again, even if it looks a little out of place with the geraniums :)
And last, but not least, here are the raspberry starts. I had taken so many home that I decided to do the zig-zag row to use them all. When I had Robert rototill this space, I had thought it would be enough for three or four rows of raspberries. NOT! Apparently raspberries need lots of space in between, so hopefully this will be enough space between and enough raspberries to keep me happy, because there isn't an inch for expansion. I figured I might as well give it a try, at least the starts were free, right? Anyways, here they look pretty good, but after one day, many of my starts are looking pretty sad. Not just wilted, but some of the canes are flopped over. Does anyone know if this is good, bad, or normal?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

They're called Johnny Jump Ups! (I worked as a pressed flower company in high school)

Katie said...

or violas, same plant. They will take over so just be prepared. And your raspberries will be great. Keep them moist. And if they die, I know where you can get more :)