Thursday

Calling Out for Help

Ok, so I am reaching out to all of you crafty, do-it-yourself people out there (Blair, I am especially keen to hear what you have to say) For Kaylie's birthday, we have decided to complete what I am dubbing our "Family Wall" Basically, this will be a tribute to the family and really recognize every member of our family for all to see. We want to do this on the wall you see as you enter our house. On top will be "Families Are Forever" in vinyl lettering (thanks again SO MUCH to Ashlee and Nate for doing our vinyl) still to be determined whether on a board or on the wall. Below that will be a large family picture. Then below that will be two smaller pictures side by side; one of our wedding pictures and the other will be a current picture of the two of us. Next below that will be 5X7 pictures of our children. This is the main part I need help with. I got vinyl wording for Kaylie's picture that says "Our Angel in Heaven" as you can see above so it kind of explains in a loving way where she is. I bought a wood frame so I can put the vinyl on the top and bottom as pictured, but I am having trouble deciding how to go about painting the frame? I would like to make it look really good, like, almost as if I had bought the frame, because I am planning on buying nice frames for all the other pictures. The idea I have in my head is either a black with worn pink edges showing through with maybe pink flowers glued on the sides, or painting the frame pink also with the worn look but with dark brown showing through and maybe still something like a flower or butterfly glued on either side. What do you think? Any suggestions to help me achieve the look I want? I'm leaning a little more towards the black with a touch of pink because I think I want all the other frames to be black, but the vinyl lettering is black (not your fault, Ashlee, MINE) so maybe I need to paint a thick layer of pink and a thin layer of black and sand it to have lots of pink showing through? If anyone has suggestions please let me know! Thanks so much and I will let you all know how the project goes! I am really excited to be doing this for my Kaylie and to make a nice, entirely planned and coordinated space in our home.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Christine,
What about a larger black frame with a pink matt? Your friends could cut you out some smaller lettering that could be centered at the bottom of the matt.

Love you.

Katie said...

I like that idea, but if you want to do the rustic look I can help you out with it.

Team Skousen said...

Hey! This is such a cute idea! I love it. I use spray paint because it is super easy, but you can use any kind of paint really. You would want to paint the frame pink first and let it dry. Then paint black over it and sand it with really fine sand paper where you want the worn look. Since the lettering is black, you would want to get a lot of the pink shining through at least in those areas. But I would try your technique on a scrap piece of wood first to see what you like best, then do it on the frame. I always mess up! hehe.

The other thing you can try since your letters are black is using black (or brown) wood stain over the pink. It is a bit more transparent. You would paint the stain on and wipe it off until you get your desired look. I always have to practice this a few times on a scrap piece too. Good luck! I can't wait to see the wall!

The Roaming Rolfe's said...

I like the brown/pink look. Anyway you do it! I like te wood stain idea, I might try it! Good luck! Can't wait to see it all done!