Saturday

Obsessions

To kick off the spud harvest beginning next week, Robert brought home an example.
This thing is HUGE! It's potatoes like these that give Idaho it's great reputation. And yes, this is one that Robert grew on his farm. He said they dug up a plant to see if the potatoes were getting ready and the plant had 26 potatoes on it! Usually a plant has around 10 to 15, so that's pretty impressive.

This is the 6 dozen or so ears of corn I am cooking up tonight to freeze. The stack on the right are the ears from our garden. I had to take them all because an animal got into our garden last night and ate some, so I grabbed whatever we had and am cooking it along with the other stuff I bought from a farmer earlier today. But thankfully my new visiting teacher has an electric knife she let me borrow to make the process a million times easier and she told me a good idea is to stick the pointy end into the middle of a bundt pan and use the knife to cut the kernels off and they fall into the pan. Man, I wish I had known that before when I did the other two dozen! :)

This is a picture of all the zucchini my friends have given me for zucchini bread. I didn' grow a single one, but I have 30 bags of 2 cups grated zucchini waiting to be used in zucchini bread. I am also going to learn to can tomatoes this next week and how to make and can homemade applesauce. I am so excited about learning how to do all this food preservation to help me in my goal to become more self-sufficient and have a one-year food storage.

8 comments:

Corinne said...

You go girl! We've been busy into canning lately too! 'Tis the season, I guess. I just wish we were closer so we could do it together! I want to see all your prettily canned tomatoes and applesauce! Love ya!

Unknown said...

Way to go, little homemaker!! I need to get over my aversion to canning and it on it myself.

Melissa said...

Wow that is good. I want to learn more of that kind of stuff.

Stacy Smith said...

That is one impressive potato. Enjoy your canning!

The Roaming Rolfe's said...

Wow! You have been very busy! Good for you! Wish I had time to do all that fun stuff! I love homemade applesause!!! Have fun!

Maples Family!! said...

that is so impressive, I am so jealous, i would love to learn & do all the freezing/canning stuff, i just wish i had the time! Great JOB!

Steph said...

Awesome job, Christine! Those are quite the potatoes!! I like the idea of shredding the zucchini and freezing it. I'll have to do that too if we get any more. We've had a lot of chocolate zucchini bread/cake! :) Love you!

Tasha said...

I understand! I just hope that you grate all of the zucchini by hand, I did that yesterday with about 50 cups of it, and decided next year, we're getting a salad shooter.