Thursday

Best Cake Yet!!

Story is below, but here is the cake that I found to base my cake off of.


A close-up of the palm trees made from gumpaste/fondant blend.


So this cake has a story, are you ready? My little niece Lucy has been planning what she wanted for her birthday cake for a while. Since her sisters' birthdays back in June (her birthday is the end of August). The plan was to do a waterfall cake. This sounded quite daunting to me, but once I started looking at other people's ideas, I found one I wanted to base mine off of. But then my sister's family had to move back to Washington at the beginning of August. So then we were thinking that maybe I could come over a day or two beforehand and still do the cake. But as things got closer, it wasn't looking like it would be able to happen for many reasons, but the biggest being I just wasn't sure if I could do the 10-12 hour trip with two kids alone. But then we had it! Daddy (who is here finishing his last semester of his MBA) was going home to visit the weekend after her birthday, so we plotted a surprise birthday cake to arrive with him!


I honestly cannot believe how well this cake turned out. I love the vibrant colors that match Lucy's outgoing personality and it is the first time that I have had an image in my head for a cake that has actually come out on the cake the same. Oftentimes I am sorely disappointed in what the cake actually looks like, but this is one I can honestly say I am proud of! I definitely need to work on my writing skills, but other than that it turned out great and it was so fun to play around with the colors and learn how to make palm trees and hibiscus (hawaiian) flowers! Happy Birthday to Lu-Lu - I really hope you love your cake sweet girl and I wish I could be there to deliver it to you and give you a big hug with it!


(P.S. Not only is this a pretty-looking cake, but it was a really yummy cake, too. Homemade carrot cake with cream cheese icing/filling per the birthday girl's request)

9 comments:

c a n d a c e said...

You are so freakin talented, I LOVE IT!!!!!! WOW. :)

Unknown said...

So snazzy! Happy she got her special bday cake.

Tenika Dennis said...

It looks fantastic!

The Roaming Rolfe's said...

LOVE IT!!! It is really cute! I may have to borrow your idea! Way cute!!!(Although I know mine would never be as cute as yours!)

Julie Barnes said...

AMAZING!!!

Corinne said...

All I can say is that you are incredible!! Incredibly talented and incredibly sweet!!! Thanks a million, Sis! You're the best!!

Ashley said...

ok you are definately decorationg MY birthday cake! and my wedding cake, eventually.... :)

Leslie said...

This is so amazing!! You have a great talent! I am sure Lucy will love it!!! Love you!!!

Lisa Lines said...

Dang girl! You are getting so good!