Monday

What We've Been Up To...

First, we have to start off with a picture of Sam because what would a post from me be without mentioning him? He truly is getting so big, I cannot believe it!
This is a picture of my first square foot gardening box. This one will be filled with all sorts of yummy stuff from carrots and onions (which are planted right now) to broccoli, cucumbers and bush beans. For those of you haven't heard of it, square foot gardening is what it sounds like; gardening in squares of one square foot each. The concept is to grow more in less space by planting each square foot with a different crop and plant each based on how much space each plant needs. For example, onions require 3 inches of space, so you can plant 16 onions in one square foot, giving each plant 3 inches on all sides. When taking my gardening class, I realized I wanted to grow alot more and a few new things, but to expand the garden space would have required either removing trees or expanding out into the lawn, so I decided to give this method a try. Robert has been awesome in supporting me in my new gardening ventures and we are excited to see how this year fares compared to last year!
These other two boxes are for my pepper plants (each plant needs 2 feet of space). The white is plastic bags cut up to warm the soil before I transplant my starts since peppers love warm soil. I also have two tarps on the garden for the same reason only for the tomatoes.
And lastly, we have been spending the bulk of our outside time working on pruning all the bushes and trees that are on the property. My biggest focus has been on the fruit trees, but the shrubs in front of the house and the large wind break trees in the backyard have also had a good thinning.
My next venture once the fruit trees are completely finished (I just have the large plum tree left) I am considering attacking the shrubs and lilac tree that are on the line between our house and the neighbors, but we will have to see! Hope you all are enjoying the wonderful weather and getting excited for your gardens as well!

4 comments:

Adalynn said...

I'm going to try square foot gardening too! Cross fingers! :0

Katie said...

Don't do your lilacs until after they have bloomed!!!

c a n d a c e said...

Sam looks JUST LIKE YOU as a kid. Soooo crazy ;)

The Roaming Rolfe's said...

Love it! Have fun gardening! Ours is in and growing good! We are enjoying it! Can't wait to reap the rewards!!!

And I love seeing all the pictures and everything of you guys! So glad you are doing good!