Thursday

Biggest Cake Yet!!

This cake was made for a friend who graduated from high school yesterday as our graduation gift to her. She had a whole bunch of friends and family in town visiting and wanted a fabulous cake for the occasion. It was far from perfect, but I hope it was close to what she was hoping for!
 Here it is! The largest cake I have done yet! This one was so much fun, let me tell you! It was a little stressful because I didn't know exactly how long it would take me and we decided to go on a little mini trip over the weekend (I know, not the smartest time to do it). BUT, I think it turned out fairly well. I had some issues with covering the layers in fondant and was really not happy about the cracks and folds, even if they did get covered up. And figuring out how to do zebra print was a challenge. It took me nearly an hour to figure out how to do it, and then we got on a roll.
 The stars on the wires were fun and we did loads of shimmer dust all over the thing, too! I have a sweet story about the numbers, are you ready? I had gone to Michael's to get supplies for this cake. Wilton just came out with a BUNCH of new stuff and Michael's finally had it in - yay!! Anyways, I had a 40% off coupon to use and was really debating whether I should get a tool that would be awesome to have and was only $10 but I wouldn't really need it for this cake OR, if I should get an imprint set to do letters and numbers that I COULD use for this cake, but was $30. I finally decided to go with the imprint set and when I went to check out, it rang up for $0.15!!!!! Seriously! And when I pointed out that it was supposed to be $30, the girl said "Well, it rang up for 15 cents, so that is what it is." So that was a freakin' awesome deal (plus, I was able to use the coupon on something else I was buying, double whammy!)
 All in all, it was an awesome cake to try and I really had fun making it and trying some new things. The top and bottom tiers were sour cream chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting and the middle tier was three layers of yellow cake with chocolate fudge frosting. Robert said the chocolate wasn't so great, but I had the yellow and thought it tasted awesome.
 And the two injuries sustained in the making of the cake. On my palm is a deep scrape from the wire (it was really sharp after cutting it) and on the first finger is a blister from the hot glue gun. I sacrificed my finger to save my table from dripping hot glue.
Here is a picture of the cake we were going off of with a few changes and some things left out. I think another time it would be awesome to attempt doing this topsy-turvy look, but with the limited time I had and the other new things I was already attempting, I decided to forego it. Someday.

4 comments:

Matt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
c a n d a c e said...

Wow sis, I am in AWE. How talented are you!?!? WAY TO GO!!! I'm in love with that cake. How about a topsy-turvy one for my bday eh?? ;)

Beautiful masterpiece!!

Steph said...

Christine, you have an amazing talent! This cake looks amazing! Also, I love the pic of you guys at the top of your blog! Wish we could see you and your cute family!

Aunt Steph

Tenika Dennis said...

Great job, Christine!!! And what a cool deal at Micheal's.