Wednesday

The Rainbow Cake

My little niece who is turning three this year loves Rainbow Brite, so when I offered to decorate a cake for her, my sister and I decided rainbow should be the theme. So here is a glimpse of the stuff I did on Monday. My sister made the cake and the frosting underneath. She has this awesome book of stuff you can add to cake mixes to jig things up a bit, so this is a three layer strawberry cake with coconut and peacans and strawberry cream cheese icing, I think.

And here are several pictures of the finished product. I know it is busy - super busy. But first off, I had alot of mistakes to cover up. Second of all I had made alot of things to use and lastly, I thought the more I put on the cake the more excited the little gal will be.


Some new things I tried with this cake were the curly Q's. To do these you wrap the fondant/gumpaste strips around dowels and let them dry. It was pretty fun, but I didn't realize that two days wouldn't be enough drying time, so they were a little tough to work with. Something to remember for next time. The other thing I tried was pearl dust. It's difficult to see in the pictures, but basically it adds a shimmer. I did it on the blue fondant and on the rainbows and I think it really added that last little punch.

I sure hope she likes her cake, but most likely she will. Another niece has her birthday next week, but with two family reunions and Amy's blessing coming right up I think we are planning on keeping it a little simpler. My thoughts were to do a square cake and try the quilted look with little pearls and maybe a big bow on top in her favorite color. We'll have to see!

6 comments:

The Roaming Rolfe's said...

So, I love it first of all! And have questions!!! You can answer here or on facebook! Does your fondant recipe have gum paste in it? What did you use to make the clouds, reg. frosting or fondant?

You inspire me to make something really fun, just don't know what yet!!! But I love the cake!!! Super cute!

c a n d a c e said...

My goodness, sis, you are SO talented!!! :) I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! Can you do a cake for me?? thanks ;)

My favorite is Powerpuff Girls but you should know that ;) or you know I LOVE flowers of course lol

Susie said...

I love it just the way it is! I think it's perfect and the little girl will LOVE it too! You got skills, sister!

Tenika Dennis said...

Adorable! I love it! Good job. :)

Kelly said...

That is one neat cake! You are an artist!

Ashlee said...

Good job Christine! It looks really good. I think it's great that your niece actually knows what Rainbow Bright is! Do they even still have that show on TV anymore?