Monday

Valentine's Day

My reversible "Hooter Hider" (or nursing apron for those of you who are more conservative) I made myself and am extremely proud of!! Making it reversible made this project quite a bit more tricky, but it allows me to be able to use one cover for both genders!
This is probably by far the most complicated project I have attempted thusfar with my sewing machine! This is what I spent most of Valentine's Day finishing. Other than that, we just stayed home and vegged because all of us were sick with the flu (no fun). I made Mexican Delight for dinner and Robert made strawberry cheesecake for dessert (you'll see below why), but that was pretty much the extent of our celebrating the day of love. Pretty sad, huh? One of my friends did a post about how she and her husband met, dated, got engaged, etc for Valentine's Day and I thought it was really sweet, so here is my go at it:

Met: my best friend and I would go country dancing on wednesday nights at BYU-Idaho to have some "fun time" and one week, a guy asked her to go out afterwards for ice cream. Needless to say, she was excited and I was for her and I asked her to see if he had a friend that I could go with. Robert was his roommate and had also been looking for a girl to ask out after country dancing, but was unable to find a suitable date, so I went with him.

Dated: no, we did not hit it right off from that date because I spent the whole time listening to him freak out about the last girl he danced with and how she had "marriage" written in her eyes, etc, etc, etc. (it didn't help when she and her friends showed up at the ice cream place we were at, either!) But, after a few more "get together" dates, thanks to my friend and his roommate, we got to know each other better and after about three or four dates after the initial meeting, we were inseperable. We dated from about the beginning of November until February when we got engaged and were married the following August. (I know, long engagement!!) One thing I didn't know until after we were married was that at one point, Robert really was going to break up with me. He was talking about it with his roommates and decided that things just weren't right, but when it came time to tell me, he changed his mind! Boy, am I glad!

First Kiss: ok, this is a funny story! This is before we were really "dating" each other, too! There was a formal dance at the school and a group of my nursing friends wanted me to join in with them. I was kind of wishy-washy about it, but it sounded like fun, so I thought "Ok, only if my dress fits and Robert can go" The dress was fine and Robert was available, even though it was the night before. So we went with my nursing friends, but they ditched us alot throughout the night at the dance, but that didn't faze us at all, we had a great time talking and dancing. Afterwards, I was dropping him off at his apartment and was standing on the step above him with my arms around his neck to hug him goodbye and pulled back to look at him and the next thing I know, he had kissed me and ran up the steps and into his apartment, leaving me on the steps! What impressed me the most, though, was that his kiss was not a peck or a hard "get everything I can outta this", it was just right.
Engagement: nothing real unique other than the fact that it was longer than most and we were seperated for about 6 weeks of it during the summer when he went home to work and earn us money and I had to stay to finish my last nursing rotation. Hardest time of my life! Robert proposed on Valentine's Day three years ago in the hydroplonic greenhouse at BYU-Idaho. I had made him a yummy dinner of Mexican Delight (a family tradition) and he had made homemade strawberry cheesecake for dessert. My roommates were being really inconsiderate, though, so we decided to go for a walk. We ended up going to his sister's apartment and getting her car because it was so cold and he took me to see the hydroplonic tomatoes he was working with (basically growing tomatoes in water instead of in soil). He says it was the only place he could think of that was warm and open. When we were in there, we were talking, hugging, you know and then he thought I felt his pocket for the ring (which I deny to this day) and so that pretty much gave the whole thing away, so he got down on one knee and asked me if I would do something special for him.... if I would be his wife for eternity?! I thought (and still do think) it was one of the most original ways I have heard of to ask someone.
Status Now: we have been married for 2 1/2 years, have traveled to some amazing places, both completed our bachelor's degrees, have 1 and 7/9 kids and are still just as happy as ever! I would say that as of right now, the thing I love most about my husband is his drive. He is so full of life and ambition and some days it is thinking of him that keeps me going, I love that he drives himself, but others as well!

6 comments:

Julie Barnes said...

What a great story!! Bob and I used to hang out a lot at BYU-I... before the "mish" and I think he chose a great woman!! You two are so cute together. I can't believe you are having baby number two soon and I am only on baby number one... :) ANY DAY NOW ;) YEAH!

Unknown said...

What fun. Thanks for all the details! I might have to copy you.

Maples Family!! said...

WOW! Sounds like a fun valentines this year! I am impressed that you can even do sewing with your little guy running around props to you... i can not get anything crafty like that done unless he is asleep. Those are very cute stories!

Erin said...

I love that nursing cover! I am going to have to try to make one. And I loved reading your story! So cute!

.candace. said...

Cute story Teen! Good thing he didn't break it off eh? You guys are the cutest couple ever!!!!!

Love ya'll.
-Auntie Candace

Devin and Andrea said...

I love your nursing cover! It turned out great. I love the colors. Great job! Too bad neither of us won the tie and shoes, maybe next time.