Thursday

Another Memorable Day

We have had another one of those days that you just won't forget anytime soon. The day looked promising with the return of our water supply last night after two days of absolutely nothing. But alas, it had more in store than I was betting on. I felt great being able to accomplish many of the things that have been bugging me since getting back from our trip: dishes, laundry, putting away Christmas, reorganizing the "catch all" table and the office, getting the snow tires put on the car and even getting a chance to get some gas station hot chocolate (my favorite!)
The first thing to go awry was the discovery of a ball of black and white fabric in the rubber seal of my washer. Since it was the load of Robert's work clothes, I thought it was just some fabric or lint of some sort. When I grab the thing, it turns out it is a MOUSE!! A dead, wet and very gross little mouse that had made its way in with the laundry somehow. I have to admit, I lost it a little bit. But thankfully it didn't scare Sam, he just thought Mommy was playing a game and being silly, even when he heard me telling the story to Daddy on the phone he simply thought it was an adventure worth repeating over and over again (even though he wasn't in the room for the discovery)
Most would think that in itsself would be memorable enough. But no, we need a little something more to keep this day alive, so Robert comes home from work and when I notice a rag and electrical tape wrapped around a finger he tells me "I don't want to show it to you because I know you will just make me go to the doctor" Great. These are words you don't really want to hear, but now that they have been said, you must trudge on. The result is the above picture, which is only part of the gash. I tell him he really should go, but he decides to take a shower first. I call my nursing sounding board (Corinne!) to confirm that he should at least get it looked at and ask the neighbors to watch Sam for us. I wondered if that was really necessary, but it turned out to be a really good idea. Not because it took all that long, but because after getting numbed up (which anyone who has experienced it knows usually hurts more than the injury itsself) Robert starts turning gray and calmly asks me for a drink of water. He didn't faint, but he definitely made us think he was going to. Now he is all stitched up pretty and got a tetanus shot and I will get to spend the next few days giving drugs and changing the bandages. How was your day?

8 comments:

c a n d a c e said...

Oh my gosh!!!!! AAAAHHH!!!! Christine I'm so sorry! Loves & Hugs your way.

Julie said...

Wow, what a day. You definantly have me beat. Good think I took the kids shoping with me, you didn't need anything else to happen.

Tenika Dennis said...

Okay, so I wouldn't want to find a dead mouse in my laundry...that's gross! And this doesn't exactly compare but will it make you feel any better if I tell you I discovered a lizard living under my oven? We haven't caught him yet because there is a crack in the wall he hides in...

Steph said...

So sorry, Christine! When it rains, it pours! My day? Well, check my blog - it will tell you everything. It must have been one of those days for both of us! Love you!

Julie Barnes said...

YIKES! Just the mouse alone scares me... yuck. Hopefully Roberts hand will feel better soon. OUCH! How did he do it??

Leslie said...

Holy cow! This was definitely a journal-worthy day. I sure hope today is a better day - no mice, no gashes, no quick trips to the ER. I can't wait to see you this weekend!! Love you!

Stacy Smith said...

I'll take Bob's scary finger over the mouse any day. I'm glad you got him to go get it stitched up though. Electrical tape has its place but it shouldn't be holding body parts together.

My day was fine until the sewer backed up through my basement toilet. Disgusting, but I will still take it over a sopping dead mouse in my laundry.

Trixie said...

Probably as good as yours--I had a root canal. Good luck to the both of us.