Wednesday

Kaylie's Birthday

I wanted to do something fun for Kaylie's cake since this will most likely be the last cake I do for a while with the baby coming, so a good friend of mine helped me come up with an idea she had tried for her daughter's second birthday. It is a technique called Colorflow. Basically it is an icing that is fairly runny when you trace/fill in the design and then dries really hard. We thought butterflies would be really pretty and I wanted lots of color, so I did all the girly pastel colors.
I think the pictures definitely upgrade what the cake actually looks like, but it was fun to try and I'm not overly worried because this is my time to practice. If it were for someone else, I probably would have melted down at all the imperfections (things always go wrong for me). But it looks pretty and will taste fantastic. That is what matters most with a cake, right?

It is a two layer strawberry cake with each layer filled with strawberry frosting and between the two layers is chopped fresh strawberries and then iced in vanilla frosting. (When I say frosting, I mean the stuff from the can because Robert hates buttercream icing and we were going for taste)
And lastly, we got two beautiful roses to put at Kaylie's headstone after the party - one for each year. We are looking forward to having both sets of Potters over to help us enjoy the evening remembering the day Kaylie joined the family.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful little cake. Wishing I could be with you too. Happy birthday little one.

Leslie said...

The cake is beautiful! I love the idea of a rose for each year. What a lovely way to remember our little sweetheart. You are a great Mommy! Love you!!

Tenika Dennis said...

I think the cake looks really great! Good job! And the flowers will look so beautiful at her headstone.

Anonymous said...

I love that cake! You are so talented!!

Ashley said...

Christine you are amazing, that is all I can say, and I love you and I miss you. I wish we lived closer to each other!

c a n d a c e said...

The cake is gorgeous, sis. I love the beautiful pink roses. 1 for each year is so fitting. You are such a great Mommy. Love you!

Kelly said...

What a lovely cake and a nice tradition to honor your daughter. What I can't get over is that you prefer canned frosting to home-made! What the?

Lisa Lines said...

wWhat a beautiful way to remember your sweetheart. Wishing you a wonderful day to remember Kaylie Bug.

Steph said...

hope your day of remembrance was special and sweet. Best of luck with your third little one. I hope all goes smoothly and perfectly!

Ben & Carli said...

It is darling Christine, I see no imperfections! I hope all is going well and maybe we can get together this up coming week. Call if you need anything at all.

Stacy Smith said...

What a nice way to remember Kaylie. Geral also loved your cake and we are therefore trying to put butterflies on her birthday cake today. Wish you were close enough to show me what to do.